Jun 10, 2011

Very Bananary Banana Bread

I'm not quite a fan of banana breads; in fact, I am not a fan of bananas, except for this one dessert in Vietnam where a type of bananas that is not available in the US is coated with a thin layer of glutinous rice, then wrapped in banana leave and grilled over charcoals until the banana leave is charred. The leaf is then peeled off and the banana served with a coconut and tapioca sauce. Yum! Yum! (Gotta bring my train of thought back to the here and now before I start salivating.) Anyway, I have a friend who loves banana breads, her kids are even bigger fans so I decided to make it a while back. Then, the class I taught this quarter had their exam in the afternoon so I decided to bake them banana and zucchini breads instead of the usual cookies. I think I've got the recipe down, and it's super easy ;)
Photobucket

Let's get started, shall we?
INGREDIENTS:
Make 1 loaf

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, room temp
5 large overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup of roasted walnuts, chopped

METHOD:
Preheat the oven to 350º. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. 

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. 

In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Stir in beaten eggs and mashed bananas until well-blended. Stir the banana mixture into the dry mixture, just until moisten. Fold in the nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50-55 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for about 10min before turning it out to cool on a wire rack. Cut and serve.

Photobucket
For the banana fans out there, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment