May 9, 2011

Chocolate Ganache Tart

Have you ever ordered a cake for dessert and ended up liking the chocolate ganache/frosting much more than the cake itself? Or a chocolate ganache for dessert and the portion was too small to satisfy your chocoholic self? I have. So I decided to try making this at home but eating the whole 9in portion by myself would more likely be a heart attack in the making than a dessert. Lucky me, my friend's birthday was approaching so I decided that would be her birthday "cake". Well, it wasn't a typical birthday cake but I don't think she complained, or maybe I was too busy enjoying my portion to hear ;)

Let's see. I would describe this as a smooth chocolate bar with a crunchy crust. Even better, the crust is super easy even I could make it. So I think it's a great thing for you to bring to the next party full of chocolate lovers that you are invited to, if you run out of ideas.
Photobucket
(Please excuse my lack of plating ideas!)

Without further ado, here is the recipe:
INGREDIENTS:
For the crust:
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
3 Tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from a vanilla bean if you are feeling fancy)

For the filling:
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 Tsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces for easy melting
1 cup whipping cream
3 Tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt

METHOD:
In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stir until even. Add in the flour and stir until combined and a soft dough is formed.

Spread the dough over the bottom of a 9-in round tart pan with removable bottom. Press the dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Cover with a plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30min. Be careful while moving the pan. I forgot the bottom was removable on my first try and had to re-press the dough but it didn't take that long.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF, position a rack in the middle. Take the shell out, prick evenly with a fork (you don't want air destroying your beautifully made shell, do you?) and then bake until golden brown.

Remove the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.

Place chocolate and butter in a medium bowl. Combine the cream, salt, and sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat and stir until sugar has completely dissolved and the liquid is just about to simmer.

Pour the liquid over the chocolate and butter and let it sit until the chocolate and butter have melted, ~4min. Gently stir until smooth. Practice self-control, don't pick up a spoon and eat this all up. Tell yourself the end result is very much worth waiting for ;)

Pour ganache over the cool tart shelf, smooth the surface with a spatula and transfer to a refrigerator to chill until set, about 1.5h.

Cut and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment