Jul 3, 2011

Lemon Semifreddo

Summer is here, it's time for something cool. Today my friend invited a group of us over for dinner, which was really good, and I volunteered to bring dessert. Well, I think I've said this before but volunteering to bring dessert means I get to try making new things without having to consume the entire end-product by myself so why not, right? Anyway, I tried this recipe from Food & Wine but made some small adjustments. After putting the mix into the freezer, I was hoping it would turn out okay. Well, it was better than I expected ;) When my friend said "for something that doesn't contain chocolate, this is really good," I knew it was a success :D
Photobucket

INGREDIENTS:

1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 Tsp water
6 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup honey (the original recipe called for 1/2 cup, I used less but it's still quite sweet I think so if you like really sweet things, go with 1/2 cup)
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
3 Tsp lemon juice
Ladyfingers with jam sandwiched in between (the number of ladyfingers you need depend on which type you use. I bought French ones so I used 16 of them)


METHOD: 

Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving ~3 in on each long side.

In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand.

In large bowls, beat the egg whites till stiff peaks are formed, and the heavy cream till firm. Refrigerate.

In a large bowl over simmering water, whisk the egg yolks and honey until the eggs thicken and an instant thermometer reads 160ºF when inserted. Remove from heat.

Add the gelatin, lemon zest and juice to the egg mixture, whisk for another 5 minutes till the eggs have cooled down. Don't leave it stand there to cool, whisking helps the cooling process and incorporates air into the mixture.

Fold the whipped cream and egg whites into the mixture until no streaks remain.

Pour half of the mixture into the pan. Arrange the sandwiched ladyfingers on top and then add the remaining mixture. Add some thinly sliced lemon zest if you like. Lightly cover the top with the overhanging parchment paper. Freeze the mixture for at least 4 hours.

Remove the semifreddo, cut and serve.

I can't resist posting this picture because I really really like my friend's plate. He'd better watch out cuz I might steal one of his one of these days!
Photobucket

Any kind of citrus fruits would work in this recipe as long as the amount of honey is adjusted to compensate the tartness of the fruit. The original recipe in Food & Wine book calls for orange marmalade but I decided raspberry jam would give a better color contrast. Happy making and eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment