Jul 11, 2011

Schwarzwälderkirschtorte a.k.a Black Forest Cake ...

... with a twist, that is. Well, one of my very good friends kept telling me to make this one and I promised her I would when cherries are in season in the US, which they are right now. I said with a twist because I got the inspiration from Lindt chilli cherry chocolate bar, i.e. I added some savory spice to my cake ;)

Anyway, cherries are not only in season; they are on sale which means it's the perfect time to make this dessert. Well, that is because I do not fancy the idea of using canned cherries (I'm such a snob sometimes). But of course you are welcome to use them if you don't have access to fresh ones. You probably will find some recipes that call for whipped cream frosting, that's all well and good. I, on the other hand, likes my frosting with chocolate so I made a chocolate whipped cream frosting, yum! Anyway, that's enough of my rambling. Here's your shopping list:

INGREDIENTS:

For the cake:
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional for the faint-hearted ;))
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

For the filling:
1/3 - 1/2 cup Kirschwasser 
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
Pinch of salt
2 tsp strong brewed coffee
3/4-1 cup confectioners' sugar (if you want thicker filling, use more sugar to get more volume of course)
1 1/2 lbs pitted fresh cherries 

For the frosting:
5 Tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
5 Tsp confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream (leave some for the plain top if you prefer)
2 tsp Kirschwasser
1 oz semisweet square

Well, there's certainly room for improvement when it comes to my frosting and chocolate shaving skills but trust me when I tell you that it does taste very good.
Photobucket

METHOD:

Line two 8-in round cake pans with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (or 175ºC)

In a medium bowl, sift together the first 5 ingredients, set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the vanilla and the eggs one at a time. Alternately beat in the flour mixture and buttermilk.

Divide the batter into the pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until your favorite cake test says it's done. (The chocolate cake is good on its own if you don't feel like going the extra steps. Just serve it with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.) Let cool completely, invert, remove the papers, cut each cake horizontally into two.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the cocoa powder and sugar into the cream. Chill the bowl and the beaters/whisk in teh refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Sprinkle the Kirschwasser on the four layers. Spread 1/2 of the cream on the first layer, followed by 1/3 of the cherries. Repeat.

Beat the heavy cream until it thickens, add vanilla extract and Kirschwasser, beat until firm. (I like my frosting chocolatey but if you want yours to be more sweet, add more confectioners' sugar.) Frost the top and sides of the cake. Decorate the outer top with frosting and fresh cherries and the middle with chocolate shavings.
Photobucket

Cut and serve. Your family and friends will thank you, or blame you for making them put on weight ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment